Friday, August 5, 2011

Challenge: What ONE thing can you do today to forgive?

(Let that marinate for a second……)

The Definition of Forgive: for·give [ fər gívVERB

1.  transitive and intransitive verb stop being angry about something: to stop being angry about or resenting somebody or somebody's behavior
2.  transitive verb pardon somebody: to excuse somebody for a mistake, misunderstanding, wrongdoing, or inappropriate behavior
3.  transitive verb cancel obligation: to cancel an obligation such as a debt

Did you openly consider what you could do or did you tense up at the thought? UGH!


The funny thing for me is that I consider myself a very forgiving person and yet, I tensed up. Why is that?

Well for me, the word “Forgive” made me instantly reflect on a once dear friend of mine, that isn’t dear anymore and I felt a tinge of residual pain and once again I was momentarily bothered by events of the past. It didn’t last long, but it made me question if I really forgave her or not?

Okay, let me remind myself that just because you forgive a person, doesn’t necessarily mean you forget. Or does it?

From a spiritual standpoint when we fall short in God’s eyes, doesn’t He do that for us? Forgive… AND Forget? We just have to ask for it, right?

I wonder how I would feel if I were asked for forgiveness? That would be amazing! I think I would feel 100x better! Maybe even move towards forgetting. But my happiness can’t depend on the next person actions, so instead I forgave without the asking and still felt 100x better! So I’m going to answer my own question and say yes, I really did forgive.

Forgiveness can be one of the hardest things to do. A perfect stranger could sooner get your forgiveness than someone you have loved your entire life – like your parents, or maybe even yourself. Some people find it so hard to forgive that they would rather rehash the transgression, give energy to anger and disappointment and let it become a cancer then to breathe and let it go. Ultimately it doesn’t hurt anyone but yourself. I know, I did that myself for a good long while before I said enough, is enough! Forgive and make peace.

So today, the one thing I have decided I can do to forgive is to remember how!

    1.       Acceptance: What has happened – happened – it’s over. 
           You cannot change it. It is, what it is.
    2.       Self Control: Since you can’t change it, control how you respond to it.
           Stress is a silent killer.
    3.       Resolve: Make healthy, mindful decisions. Choose to be happy! 
           Give it to God and be thankful and grateful for your blessings and all that is        good. You are okay!
    4.       Humility: There is no pride in forgiveness – check yourself. You aint perfect!
    5.       Love yourself: If you feel like you are owed something, or deserve better – 
           stop looking out and look in and give it to yourself first! The rest will come.
    6.       Acceptance:  You cannot control every damn thing! So stop trying!
           The change starts with you.
    7.       Forgive: Breathe, like giving blood to the Dr., it only hurts a little at first. 
           It isn't going to kill you. But not doing it very well could! 

No comments:

Post a Comment